Tuesday, May 27, 2008

All Through the Night

My friends, I have been reading. Oh yes I have. I am just going to give you a snapshot review of one of the most recent books I have read. This is the most recent installment in the Troubelshooters series. I just had to read it this month. How prefect is that?

Title: All Through the Night
Author: Suzanne Brockmann
Genre: Contemporary Romance

Back Cover:

It’s Christmastime in Boston, and this year the silver bells will be wedding bells as FBI agent Jules Cassidy ties the knot with the man of his dreams, Hollywood heartthrob Robin Chadwick. The pair plan a quiet, intimate ceremony, to be witnessed by family and close friends from the FBI, SEAL Team Sixteen, and Troubleshooters, Incorporated, including Sam Starrett and Alyssa Locke. But the holiday season brings more to the happy couple than they expect. A waterfall coming through their kitchen ceiling, a bat colony in the attic, old family tensions…even an international incident can’t dampen their spirits. But add to that a parade of unexpected guests, including a reporter looking for a scoop, an ex-lover hell-bent on causing trouble, and a dangerous stalker, and suddenly the wedding is poised to unravel in chaos. But nothing will stop Jules and Robin from getting their happy ending, because along with a guest list featuring the most elite counterterrorism force in the world, they have their own secret weapon - true love.
Jules and Robin finally get a book that is nearly all their own. Ok, they have to share it with Dolphina, but that is just a little (not quite fleshed outed enough) side story. This book is not like any of the previous Troubleshooters books. For one, the whole plot revolves around a wedding. Not just any wedding, but a gay wedding. I love it. The whole point is not OMG THESE GUYS ARE GAY! Not at all. The whole story is about the fact that these two individuals are so incredibly in love that they want to pledge their lives to one another. The scenes between Jules and Robin are realistic. The road to happily ever after is not smooth sailing. Hell, it's quite bumpy, starting with the fact that Jules gets food poisoning on the night he plans to propose! Through it all the couple os dealing with new house woes, Jules' jealousy issues, Robin's alcoholism recovery, and the fact that the President has decided to attend the nuptials. There are numerous cameos by previous Brockmann heroes, which tends to make sense since they all have worked with, and become friends with, Jules. It was great to see the friendship between Jules and Sam that has developed over the course of the past 11 books.

All that being said, I felt that the scenario with Adam and the stalker was completely unnecessary. Seriously, why even add that in? It felt tacked on. The love story between Dolph and the reporter was also a distraction from the Jules/Robin lovefest. Yes, I liked his involvement in the situation when Jules was in Afghanistan, but I just did not buy the chemistry and love. This is a novella, so maybe if they had been given a full novel I would have like them more. I kind of feel like Dolph got cheated out of a full length HEA.

Jules/Robin= lovelovelove
Everything else= Go away! I want more Jules/Robin!!!!

Grade: B
My local grocery store was a bit premature and put out The Lost Duke of Wyndham on Friday. AND I GOT A COPY! I finished it last night. I was going to give you all a 2-fer review here, but I think Ms. Quinn's book deserves it's own post. Keep your eyes peeled. It is coming soon!

2 comments:

lisabea said...

I love her soooo good. I love that she donated all the proceeds to this book to charity. She's the BEES KNEES.


hearts, bunnies, etc...

Stacy~ said...

I was so happy that Jules finally got his own HEA, and that Robin grew up enough to be worthy of him. I didn't mind Dolph's storyline so much, but yeah, the stalker was wasted space that could have been better served with more J&R.