Friday, October 31, 2008

Book Club: The Rest Falls Away

Happy Halloween!!!!!

The fabulous day of fun, fright, costumes, candy, and parties has arrived. It is also the day of the book club deadline. I hope you were all able to get your hands on a copy of The Rest Falls Away by Colleen Gleason.

So what did you think?

Did you feel that the book was more like a romance novel or an Urban Fantasy? Will you be reading on to book 2?

What did you think of her Scooby Gang (her maid and maid's cousin)?

I know I have to ask... Max or Sebatian? Or are you the one sitting there loving deLacy?

Highlights? Lowlights?

Share with us, please. But whatever you do, NO SPOILERS FOR FUTURE BOOKS IN THE SERIES. If you do I will be forced to go Gardella on your ass and stake you. I'm just sayin'.


Bev(QB) said...

I'm up to date on the series, so I'll try to be very careful and remember what's in the first book only. Although, FWIW, I STILL think the first book was the absolute BEST of the bunch!

But to answer your question: I'm a Sebastion girl. Oddly enough, Max would most definitely be more my type, but in this case, I'd totally do Sebastion. ;-p

After finishing TRFA, I remember thinking "OMG! This is such a breath of fresh air!" because about 80% of what I read is PNR/UF and most of the remaining 20% is historicals. So this combined BOTH into something new-- not Historical PNR, but rather Historical Urban Fantasy, with a bit of romance and smexxoring.

And honestly, even though the later books, IMO, are not quite the caliber of this 1st one, the fact that the storyline is so unique has me enjoying the hell out of 'em.

Marg said...

I am not sure that it fits in either category really. I see urban fantasy as being more contemporary or alternate universe but not set in the past. Similarly, I don't believe it is a pure romance novel.

I am a Max girl, although Sebastian is hot as well. I don't know. I really can't choose!

And I have already read the second book, and now have the third book here to read.

Shannon said...

Bev- There really is something refreshing about the book. So many historical paranormals feel dijointed to me. Colleen does such a wonderful job of being true to the historical feel and setting, yet mixing in the paranormal in a way that makes sense for the time.

Oooh! One vote for Max, one for Sebastian. I am one the fence right now. I think I need to read the second book before I choose a side. I felt that deLacy distracted me from the other men. The mystery surrounding Sebastian intrigues me. Yet, the angst in Max draws me.

Bridget Locke said...

I'm a big fan of this series. Love it. I just never understood why Rocksley was introduced. Keep the focus on Sebastian and Max. I guess the angst was needed tho. :~S

Jill D. said...

My thoughts and SPOILERS are involved:

First off, I have to say that I liked Phillip. I happen to be a sucker for childhood love plots. I was disappointed with the way his end was met. Although, I did see it coming.

Max isn't even on my radar as far as hero potential goes. I see him as more of a big brother.

Sebastian is hot. I loved the scene when he wanted to see her (belly button ring - because I can't remember what it is called).

I was annoyed with Victoria's mother and her friends. Did anyone else notice the abrupt changes between scenes? I found it a little jarring at times.

Also, just so you know, my copy of The Rest Falls Away had it labeled on the spine as a paranormal romance. Personally, I don't think it fits in that category, but that is what the publisher has categorized it as.

Bridget Locke said...

Oh, and I'm a Max girl all the way. :D

Michelle Buonfiglio said...

Well, Shannon, all's I can say is every time I see Colleen, she makes sure to remind me that just because the story continues between stand-alones, doesn't mean it's not a true romance. :)

It's really cool to see how excited you are over (Max) the series (and Sebastian), and I always dig hearing your take on things.