Saturday, April 7, 2012

Werewolf Reading List

Oh my, where did this week go? I had planned to add a bit more to the blog for Werewolf Week. Between wrapping things up at school before Spring Break and preparing to head out on our upcoming trip, life has sucked up my free time.  Ah well, here I am squeaking in one last werewolf post just before the week actually comes to an end.

When I want a good werewolf or shape shifter story there are a few authors that are on my go-to list.  There are those books I have read and re-read to get my lupine fix. Sometimes the main character is the shifter. In some books they play a supporting role.  Whether the lady in the spotlight or the man on the sidelines, I just love these characters. 

It used to be that I would have to wait until October for a new batch of Paranormal Romances to be released. Halloween was always good for some otherworldly heroes.  Mostly this included vampires. I love me some blood suckers, but we are focused on their furry friends this week.  It used to be a rarity to find books with werewolf characters, never mind were-cats, were-bears, or were-guinea pigs. When Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance hit the big time scores of Halloween readers rejoiced. Vampires in January?  Demons in April?  Werewolves all year long??!!?!?  Huzzah!!!

So now these books are abundant.  With such abundance, however, comes overexposure and a vast disparity in quality.  There is the good and there is the bad.  Let us not dwell on the bad.  Instead, let us list the good.  Together, let's create a reading list of books we have read and found to be exciting, delicious, decadent and down right fantastic.  Share with us your favorite werewolf/shifter book and I will add it in an ever growing reading list.  Let's see just how extensive a list we can compile.

Werewolf/Shifter Read List

Alpha & Omega series  by Patricia Briggs
     On the Prowl (anthology)
     Cry Wolf
     Fair Game
Alpha Instinct  by Katie Reus
Desire Unchained  by Larissa Ione
Last Call Kamikaze  by Moira Rogers
Mercy Thompson series  by Patricia Briggs
     Moon Called
     Blood Bound
     Iron Kissed
     Bone Crossed
     Silver Borne
     River Marked
Night Play  by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Psy-Changeling series  by Nalini Singh
     click here for full reading order
Sin Undone  by Larissa Ione



So which books have you read that should be added to the list?  I know I am missing a ton.  Which books have you loved that all lovers of werewolves (and shifters of all shapes) should read?

4 comments:

Nicola O. said...

Bitten, by Kelley Armstrong

Keri Arthur's Riley Jenson series

Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series

Christine Warren's "kitchen sink" paranormal Others series has some good shifters

Ditto Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark

Ditto Marjorie Liu's Dirk and Steele series (although the shifting is not as prominent in these)

The Bookworm said...

Thanks for the recommendations :)
I never knew 'lupine' referred to werewolves....it makes sense now as my fav werewolf is Professor Lupin from the Harry Potter books :)

Nicola O. said...

Hey Shannon -- just a quick comment on your new theme -- I love the blue, and I love the pattern and the body text is very readable -- but the links in the comment section are very hard to see against the gray comment background. I'm in Firefox if that matters.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Samantha said...

I second the Kelley Armstrong book and also have to add "No Humans Involved" by Kelley Armstrong. Love Jeremy, the American pack alpha. :)

I would also add:

Bayou Moon by Ilona Andrews

Soulless by Gail Carriger

How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf by Molly Harper (if you're looking for a comedy)