Sunday, April 1, 2012

Protector's Mate by Katie Reus

I adore Paranormal Romance.  It is quite possibly my favorite genre. Recently I have been all about the werewolves and shifters.  So here at WWR I am hosting a week about werewolves.  To kick things off, I present a review of a book out just today!

Title: Protector's Mate
Author: Katie Reus
Genre: Paranormal romance
Format: ebook provided by the author

Sysnopsis: After two years in a war zone, werewolf Felicia Serna has finally returned to find another pack has taken over her territory…and the new second-in-command is the very man who haunts her fantasies.


Alaric has wanted Felicia from the moment he laid eyes on her, and now he’s ready to claim her. When a threatening shifter begins stalking them, he’s determined to protect her…even if it means putting his seduction on hold. But even in the heat of danger, their red-hot passion cannot be denied.




I feel the need to preface this with saying that I have a love-hate relationship with novellas. I love the idea of them.  A short, quick shot of romance.  You aren't always in the mood for a long book.  The novella steps up to fit the bill.  At the same time, this short format usually leaves me... unsatisfied.  Just as the story feels like it is gaining some steam, the author rushes to wrap it all up.  You see, love-hate.


All that said, I jumped at the chance to read Katie Reus's newest release (OUT TODAY!)  I strongly enjoyed Alpha Instinct, so when she said new newest, Protector's Mate, was in the same vein I had to read it.

Felicia has baggage. Not your average emotional baggage, but a full matching set of traveling luggage. Her early experience with pack life caused her to leave home, choosing the life of a lone wolf. Against her Alpha's wishes, she went to college and then escaped to Afganistan to work as a nurse.  Returning home took more courage than facing the dangers of the war torn country. Upon arriving home, she is met with the news that her Alpha is dead and another has taken over his territory.  This news is delivered by Alaric, the one wolf capable of making her heart beat faster.  He arrives at the airport to pick Felicia up, with no prior warning.


The spark flare between Felicia and Alaric from moment one. Her ability to trust, however, poses quite a stumbling block.  Alaric knew the moment he met her years ago that Felicia was his mate.  He also knew that she was not ready for the relationship he wanted from her.  Alaric stepped back and gave her the time to grow into adulthood, unaware of the warped dynamic inside her pack and the damage it would do.  He kept tabs on her as she went to college and, later, when she was overseas.  Eventually he contacted her via email and began to build the foundations for their future relationship. Felicia wants to trust Alaric, but she learned her lessons the hard way with her previous Alpha. Her wolf knows that is can trust Alaric, but her human side was still wary.

Ms. Reus does a fine job of quickly building the world in which these characters live and developing enough of a backstory that you believe Felicia and Alaric have a connection.  There is a dangerous conflict that arises that provides both plot tension and a setting for steamy moments.

I did like the story.  I think Katie did a credible job of weaving all the treads together.  I do wish she had been able to put these characters into a full length novel.  There is so much more I want to know about their story.  I was not fully satisfied, but still pleasantly entertained. If you like novellas you should definitely read this one.  If you find the format too short you should skip and go straight to Alpha Instinct.  If, like me, you have that love-hate relationship with novellas... go for it.  If is certainly worth a read.

3 comments:

The Bookworm said...

I have the same love hate relationship with novellas. This one sounds good though.

Shannon said...

naida- It is good. The format/length left me wanting, not the writing.

Tracy said...

Oh I didn't realize this was out - I'll have to check it out. :)