Sunday, September 6, 2009

Slump Watch 2009: Slump Busters

The Slump of 2009 is still going strong.  Good books are languishing on the pile.  Nothing is tempting the reading palette.  Good writing (objectively I can tell it is good) just ain't cutting it for me.  This slump is strong and holding fast.
What's a girl to do?  I've tried switching genres.  I picked up a well loved, oft re-read keeper.  Tried re-reading a fave from my youth.  Nothing is luring me to pick up and read.  I even have the newest Patricia Briggs and I can't get up the gumption to read!  (Of course, there is the fear that The Slump will leach even her books of their crack addled glory.)
I know I am not alone.  Others have been in my shoes. When you were here, in this desolate place of reading ennui, what jolted you out of it?  What book or activity busted that slump?

4 comments:

Christine said...

Although I'm game to read young adult fiction any time, I find it a great genre to turn to when I need to bust a reading slump. Perhaps because I know I can find something in YA that is quick and easy to read... yet also very engrossing.

Good luck breaking your slump. u

Shaymless Aymless said...

I agree with Christine.

When an old favorite doesn't work I look for something short and sweet. And the newer YA has helped get me out of a couple of slumps.

Kelly said...

Dang! Maybe try listening to an audio book? I did a post a little while ago on how to get out of a reading slump, but you've already tried the biggest suggestions from that list. But check it out...maybe you'll find something that will help?

Good luck!

Tracy said...

I can't say I've been in one in a long while so I can't remember how I got out of it! lol I'm so sorry that you're in one. Maybe try an audio book as Kelly suggested.