Sunday, September 13, 2009

Slump Slump LUCKY CHARM Slump

I actually finished a book! This is big news, my friends. I have not been able to do this very often over the past three months. I think it was pretty good. I mean, I actually finished it amidst the Slump of '09. That means it was probably quite good.

Lucky Charm by Carly Philips

All of the Corwin men are cursed when it comes to love. No, no, not unlucky... cursed. Literally. Generations before a Corwin ancestor stole away the intended bride of one of the Perkins men. Mary Perkins was having none of that. And Mary Perkins was a witch (this was during the days of the Salem witch trials, you know.) She cursed the Corwin family, that no man shall be successful in their personal or professional life if they fall in love.

Flash forward to present day and you meet current Corwin man, Derek. He loved his high school sweetheart, deeply. But knowing about the curse, he walked away from her. Years (a marriage, child, divorce and major financial setback) later, Derek is living back home, and Gabrielle has returned. This time she is determined to prove to Derek that there is no such thing as a curse (that is actually her job, you know, debunking myths.) Add in eccentric relatives, best friends, a local political campaign battle, and some mysterious shenanigans and you get a fun read.

If you are looking for sweet, a little hot, often amusing, and slightly mysterious (although I have to admit I figured it out before the reveal), then I recommend picking this book up. If you like it, there are two more books to follow.


Now if only I had the drive to pick up another book. Gah! Slumping along. Slump slump slump.

1 comment:

Stacy~ said...

I admit I haven't read many of Carly's books, but I know several people who like her stuff. But for sweet and probably not to complicated, I bet she's aces.

I'm reading a fun vamp book set in Chicago. Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill. It's a series, and I'm really loving it.